Monday, May 30, 2011

The Chronicles of Jan Part 1

Dear current 11 followers,

Endless apologies for not writing more as of late. I've had a concussion and have been on forced "brain rest." I have also moved to Rhode Island for the summer. Details, details, I know.

So let me tell you a little bit about my new living situation with Janny Bear. We "met" on craigslist. Red flag numero uno. I should have been deterred by her self-described adjectives like "hip" and "progressive" - frightening words for a woman d'un certain age - but let's get real. The rent is only $375 a month and I've lived in worse conditions of squalor. So I said "eh" and now here I am living in Pawtucket, RI with a 65 year old woman most likely in her early stages of dementia.

I was promised a king size bed. The day before I came it was demoted to a queen. Upon my arrival I discovered it was a full size. Look at the neat bedding that even came free with rent!


There are no window treatments on any of the windows. Only weird strings of wooden beads. You know the kind that hang in doorways? A la 2003? Yes, those. I especially love this perk when I take showers at night. There is a My Little Pony sticker fused to the toilet seat. It's far enough away from my ass though, so I really don't mind this. Jan was kind enough to line the nine drawers of my dresser with grandma-scented paper liners so my whole room is perfumed with the scent of retirement and older adult living. It smells as if someone made my 87 year old grandmother the manager of a Pier 1 Imports and let her play around with the potpourri all day.

No comments: